Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Kitchen Counters

Here are a few things I keep on my kitchen counters....


I find we eat a lot more fruit if we see it often.  So I try to keep fruit that lasts longer, like apples and oranges, on the counter instead of in the fridge.  I use this three tier platter from IKEA.  I like it because it is easy to clean.  You can even take it apart and wash it in the dishwasher if needed.


Usually, I keep the white drying rack in one sink.  It's out of the way, and ready to air dry dishes anytime. 


The brown drying rack has a white baby bottle drying rack on top of it.  In our house, we use a lot of bottles and sippy cups.  I find it easier to hand wash these items rather than throwing them in the dishwasher.  After the bottles are washed and fully dried, I put them away in a cupboard to minimize clutter.


I used IKEA containers on the side of the kitchen cabinets for plant hangers.  I love the way these containers brighten up our kitchen!


I received these canisters as a wedding gift a few years ago and they are great homes for pasta, rice and flour.  Another essential at our house are cookies!  The clear cookie jar has a sealing lid that stops the cookies from drying out.  I like the fact that it is clear so I can easily tell when it needs to be refilled.  


By the stove, I like to keep cooking utensils within reach.  I've had the white containers for years, and don't even remember what store they came from.  The red container is a flower pot I re-purposed to hold smaller utensils.  I like the color this small pot adds to the kitchen, but the poor thing is always getting knocked over, spilling utensils everywhere!  I'm hoping to create a new solution this week to solve my problem!

What do you keep on your kitchen counters?

As Always,
Sandra

8 comments:

  1. You just commented about the closet on Pinterest (I am Terri, the one who has photos of pins in my closet; I have to be anonymous here since i don't have any of the accts offered.).

    I had to stop by your blog to check it out and find that I love your style: simple IS pretty! Especially when we boy moms have chaos running around (I have 3 in double digits). I find when I can control some things in my life: my closet, my organization, etc, that my behavior is more controlled when the boys throw me curve balls! :)

    Totally agree with the fruit idea: I keep a bowl filled with fruit on the table or have healthy snacks out when they walk thru the door after school. They are less quick to raid the pantry for poptarts. :)

    Looking forward to following your blog, as I just subscribed.

    Take care, Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri,

      Thank you so much for your comment and your kind words! I can't wait to try your idea of putting photos of pins in my closet for inspiration.

      I totally agree that a little organization in areas of life can make dealing with the uncontrolled issues easier to handle when they come along.

      I appreciate you subscribing and your feedback! Hope to talk to you again soon!

      Take care,
      Sandra

      Delete
  2. Hey Sandra! I love the idea of using the ikea containers as planters! I have the same one hanging near my kitchen window -- I might need to try that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casey! Thanks for visiting. I love the ikea containers as planters! They work really well. Love your blog :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandra I don't have an IKEA anywhere close and I got on their website and could not find these containers......if you could point me in a direction or know of anywhere that sells similar ones I would appreciate it! I love this look!

      Delete
    3. This is a hard one! I am having trouble finding anything similar for you. IKEA has discontinued the ASKER containers. IKEA still has some hanging container solutions: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/20676/

      But since IKEA is not near you, I tried looking online for some possible solutions for you. Not much out there. One etsy store that has some cute ideas for hanging mason jars (possibly something you could replicate yourself):

      http://www.etsy.com/shop/ADDEDTOUCHESBYSCOTT

      and this one has pretty hanging pots:

      http://www.etsy.com/shop/farrahsit

      (I have not bought anything from either of these etsy shops before)
      Both have some beautiful ideas, depending on your budget. Hope this helps!
      Thanks,
      Sandra

      Delete
  3. Hi Sandra,

    You talked about the baby bottle drying rack, where can you buy it from?

    Thanks! Mavis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mavis,

      I bought my baby bottle drying rack from Babies R Us in Alberta, Canada. The brand is "Prince LionHeart", here is a link I found for the same drying rack at a different store --> http://www.lussobaby.ca/Prince-Lionheart-The-Complete-Drying-Station-1007.htm?src=Google

      Hope this helps! :)
      Sandra

      Delete

Your comments are welcome!...