Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Make your own Homemade Laundry Detergent

Make Your Own Liquid Laundry Detergent - www.simpleispretty.com


So EASY!  You can save money and cut down on chemicals your skin is in contact with by making your own Homemade Laundry Detergent...

Make your own homemade liquid laundry detergent with these simple ingredients... from www.simpleispretty.com...

The first step to making your own laundry detergent is to buy or make washing soda.  Check out my post here to make your own washing soda (VERY EASY).

Washing Soda www.simpleispretty.com

Here is what you’ll need:

6 tbsp Washing Soda

6 tbsp Borax

6 tbsp Liquid Castile Soap (I use Dr. Bronner’s Baby Mild Unscented Liquid Castile Soap,—I use unscented so I can scent with whatever essential oil I choose at the time I do laundry, or leave unscented)

Essential Oil (optional)

Empty Milk Jug or other mixing container (you can use a empty ice cream pail)

Water


Steps:

1.  Put 1 cup of hot water in a 2 cup measuring cup.  Add washing soda and borax.  Stir to completely dissolve washing soda and borax in the hot water.  If water is not hot enough to dissolve the ingredients, try microwaving the mixture. 

Mix Borax and Washing Soda with Hot Water www.simpleispretty.com

I have used 20 Mule Team and Eco-Pioneer Borax and like them both.

Borax 20 Mule Team www.simpleispretty.com  Borax www.simpleispretty.com

2. Add castile soap to washing soda and borax mixture and mix to combine.  Pour the mixture into a 4 litre (1 gallon) milk jug or other container.  Optional: Add essential oil to the milk jug mixture, about 20 drops.

Dr Bronners Baby Mild Castile Liquid Soap www.simpleispretty.com  Lavender Essential Oil www.simpleispretty.com

I buy my Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap from London Drugs, Well.ca or you can find it here.  I bought my Lavender Essential Oil from Well.ca.

3. To fill the milk jug, add cold water slowly –so lots of suds don’t form.  DON’T the shake container.  Leave some room in the jug to mix (i.e. Don’t fill jug with water to the very top).  Mix with a spoon or gently rock or tilt the jug from side to side to prevent lots of suds from forming.

Mix Laundry Detergent in Clean Milk Jug www.simpleispretty.com

4. It is best if you can leave the mixture overnight and then gently stir or tilt to mix and then pour it into other containers if desired.

Homemade Laundry Detergent www.simpleispretty.com

Use a few tablespoons of your new laundry detergent per load and add more for large or extra soiled loads of laundry.  Use vinegar as fabric softener (don’t worry, the vinegar smell rinses away). 

As Always,
Sandra

Simple is Pretty Parties Here…

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! Do you find it works? I guess so or you wouldn't post it! :) I accidentally bought some castile soap for making bubble bath (that failed miserably) so maybe i will try using it for the laundry. sherri@threadridinghood.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like my recipe and it is working really well. Let me know how it works for you if you decide to make it, I'd love to hear! Thanks Sherri!

      Delete
  2. I've never made my own laundry soap, but the idea certainly appeals to me! I like that there are only a few simple ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo-Anna! I appreciate you stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'd love to know how it works for you. Thanks, Shauna!

      Delete
  4. Is it suppose to get lumpy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe may get "lumpy" after sitting for a little while, all you need to do is shake it to break up and dissolve the lumps.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome!...