Saturday, July 20, 2013

IKEA Chaos

We decided to get a new sectional from IKEA to furnish the living room on the main level of our house.  Our old sofa and love seat which were in the living room of our old house, found a new home in our bonus room above the garage.
IKEA Chaos 6 www.simpleispretty.com
I wanted something modern for our new space.  Originally, I wanted this Karlstad set in Blekinge White.

IKEA Chaos 1 www.simpleispretty.com
I somehow convinced my husband to join me for a shopping trip to IKEA.  Not his favorite place to be.  So, I was really excited when he also showed interest in the Karlstad sofa, love seat, and chaise set that I loved.

I wanted the white slipcover because I thought it would be easy to take off and wash or replace if necessary.  I’m so glad my husband convinced me to choose the Isunda Grey slipcovers.  Good and bad, they will hide the dirt better than the white covers.  I like things clean, and I’m happy with the grey.  The white probably would have drove me insane, trying to keep it clean.  The slipcovers were time consuming to put on, so I could not imagine trying to take the white slipcovers off to wash them weekly or even monthly, and then put them back on the furniture.

One drawback is the Isunda Grey slipcovers are dry clean only.  But if I decide they are getting too gross even after dry cleaning or I get tired of them, I can always get new slipcovers from IKEA.  One of the perks of IKEA furniture.

IKEA Chaos 2 www.simpleispretty.com
I love our new Strandmon wingback chair and footstool in Svanby grey.  This chair is my most favorite new piece of furniture in the whole house.  Best part… the only thing to assemble was to put on the feet.

IKEA Chaos 4 www.simpleispretty.com
We got a Liatorp sofa and coffee table.

Warning:  Glass Breaks.  So… putting it together, please be more careful than we were.  We had the sofa table nearly completed and just the top piece with the glass needed to be attached.  Don’t flip the glass insert piece over, especially not onto a tile floor.  Glass breaks if it hits a hard surface.  Definitely don’t break the glass near stairs.  You will have to clean up broken glass on the main level, the stairs and the lower level.  Glass flies a long way and takes hours to clean up.  Just thought I’d tell you so you can hopefully avoid our mistake.  IKEA’s instructions tell you to also be careful, you just need to READ the instructions and the warning attached to the glass ;)

IKEA Chaos 5 www.simpleispretty.com

IKEA Chaos Completed www.simpleispretty.com
I’m really liking our new living room.  Even if my plants need to sit inside the sofa table until we get a new piece of glass for the top.

IKEA Chaos Completed www.simpleispretty.com
Overall, it was well worth the crowds at IKEA and all the furniture assembly.

I'm still working on accessorizing and decorating.  And I still need to make pillow covers for some throw pillows for our new sectional.  First, I need to find some fabric that has colors I'm looking for in modern and fresh prints.  Easier said, than done in Canada!  Especially hard to find good fabric when I want to avoid steep shipping fees and long wait times due to customs.

As Always,
Sandra

2 comments:

  1. I am getting that identical sofa. I was curious about the paint colour you chose to go with it. Looks nice. Also, how are you enjoying your sofa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose Benjamin Moore's Gray Owl for our main level. I love it! Another gray I love is Benjamin Moore's Moonshine. When we were deciding on colors, we had it narrowed down to those two. So far I love the sofa. It fits our space nicely. I admit we don't use it lots, mostly when company is over. We usually use the sofa upstairs or downstairs. I also love the color of the sofa and the texture the fabric brings to the room. Hope you love it as much as I do! I'd love to see how it looks in your space :)

      Sandra

      Delete

Your comments are welcome!...