Monday, June 30, 2014

Using Gift Wrap to Update Kitchen Cabinets

Of course, I want to paint my kitchen cabinets white.  Have I mentioned, I LOVE white!  I’ve wanted to paint the cabinets since we moved in a year ago.  But painting my cabinets would be either a huge time commitment on my part or I’d have to pay someone to paint them, which is just not in the budget quite yet.  So, I gave a couple cabinets a little brightening with white gift wrap.


Use gift wrap to update kitchen cabinets by www.simpleispretty.com

We have a small space beside our microwave that used to be a plate rack, which drove me crazy so I took out the dowels that would make the plates stand up.  This created a shelf I could place my knife block and a few other items.

By microwave before

By microwave before close up

I was not happy with this space, so I decided to try livening it up with some white patterned gift wrap.

Supplies for Gift Wrap at Back of Cupboards
I cut the gift wrap slightly larger than the back of the cupboard.  After I cut the size I needed, I steamed the piece of paper with a towel over it using my iron.   This way, I could protect the paper and also get some of the curl out of the gift wrap.

By microwave, putting gift wrap in place #2

By microwave, putting gift wrap in place
At the back of the cabinet, there was a small space I could tuck the gift wrap in all around to keep it from falling down, so I didn’t use glue or any adhesive.  Which is great, in case I want to change it or remove it later.

By microwave after

By microwave after close up
Much better and brighter.  I also tried gift wrap at the back of one more cabinet, I’ll share that project in my next post.

As Always,
Sandra

I shared this post at A Bowl Full of Lemons, Satori Design for Living, Joy in Our Home

23 comments:

  1. So neat! I recently did that to amend table and much easier than trying to paint a design on! Love your kitchen! Would love for you to share this or any of your DIY at our link up party on my blog please :) Have a super week!
    Kendra @ wow.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kendra, I'll pop over :) See you soon!

      Delete
  2. Great idea. I thought I had come up with every possible use for wrapping paper, except wrap gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I never would have thought of gift wrap. That space looks much more "finished" now. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie! I agree, it completes the space now.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea, and I can't believe what a difference the wrapping paper made to brighten things up! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. genius! such a simple and effective solution!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a fun update… so easy to change out for the seasons!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia, changing it for the seasons is a great idea :)

      Delete
  7. Great idea! Adds another dimension without being permanent, and I love Cynthia's idea of changing it with the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible! I've never done this but now i want to

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great!! It does and you can't beat the price either. If you change your mind and want another pattern or colour then it's so easy to change too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I agree, inexpensive and easy fix!

      Delete
  10. That's a great way to update your shelf! Sometimes an easy project can really add a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so clever! Thanks for linking to Motivational Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!...