Wednesday, April 1, 2015

What Are Wool Dryer Balls?

In short, wool dryer balls are made of felted wool and work by absorbing moisture and providing better air circulation by rotating the clothes in your dryer.

What are wool dryer balls? - www.simpleisprettyshop.com
Wool dryer balls reduce the amount of time and electricity used to dry your laundry.  Simply place your clean laundry in the dryer, add the wool dryer balls and dry as normal.  If you use the timed dry setting, you will need to reduce your drying time as the clothes will dry faster.  I recommend at least 4 dryer balls for a normal sized load of laundry, but the more the better!  I usually use between 4-6 dryer balls for loads of laundry in my house.  My wool dryer balls will last in between 1 to 2 years.  I just recently retired my first set after using them for 2 years!

Wool dryer balls work well for all types laundry.  Try them with bath towels, cloth baby diapers, sheets and linens.  You will no longer need to use chemical filled dryer sheets or fabric softener.  If you have sensitive skin, try using wool dryer balls and cut out harmful chemicals from your laundry routine.

If you want your clean laundry to have a scent, simply place a few drops of essential oil onto your wool dryer balls.  I usually use 2-3 drops per dryer ball.  I like to use essential oils that have a dropper cap, as this makes it easier to apply the oil to the dryer ball.

Essential Oil Bottles 5ml - www.simpleisprettyshop.com
To scent wool dryer balls, I simply place the dryer ball touching the top of the opened essential oil bottle and tip them upside down together.  Then I tip them back together right side up, and remove the essential oil bottle from touching the dryer ball.  This way is less messy as the oil goes straight into to the dryer ball and does not run off.  I repeat this process in different areas of each dryer ball until each ball receives about 3 drops of essential oil.  Leave the dryer balls overnight to let the essential oils set, or wait at least one hour before using after you have re-scented them.

Essential Oil Starter Kit - www.simpleisprettyshop.com
Some of my favorite scents for laundry are lavender, pink grapefruit and lemon essential oils.  Experiment and find a scent you like or try mixing a few and create your own scent!

Sandra

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know how to re-scent my dryer balls Sandra, now I just have to figure out what scent to use!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!...