Monday, October 29, 2012

DIY Refill for Lysol No Touch Hand Soap Dispenser

simpleispretty.com: DIY Lysol Refill

So love the Lysol No Touch Hand Soap dispenser… but hate the cost of refills.

simpleispretty.com: Lysol No Touch Hand Soap with refill bottle

The dispenser works well with kids.  All you need to do is place your hand under it and the soap automatically dispenses.  We have a Lysol soap dispenser in the bathroom and kitchen.  We use a lot of soap in our house so I needed a less expensive alternative than the costly refills.

I knew there had to be a better way to refill the Lysol containers besides trying to pop the lid off the refill container with a table knife.  I was always scared of breaking the lid, not to mention, I found this very tricky to do.

Here is my EASY solution…

The Lysol refills cost about $5 each, but my DIY solution costs much, MUCH LESS.

Here is what you need:

simpleispretty.com: Lysol No Touch Hand Soap Refill

1) Soap to refill container – I use Jergens Lotion Enriched Cream Soap 2L purchased from Superstore.  The soap is not really thick so it works well in the Lysol soap dispenser.  But any soap that is not too thick will work.

2) Ketchup/Mustard Squeezable container – I bought mine from the dollar store.  They usually are found in packs of 2.

3) Lysol No Touch Hand Soap Dispenser – When you buy it from the store it comes with 1 refill container. 

What you need to do:

1) You’ll need to adapt your squeezable container to fit the Lysol refill container…

simpleispretty.com: Soap Dispenser Lid

You will need to cut the end of the squeezable container on a slant so the soap can be squeezed into the refill bottle.  The end of the squeezable container will need to fit into the top of the refill bottle so you may need to scrape or shave off some of the plastic carefully with a knife to make the end smaller.

2) Add soap to your squeezable container.

simpleispretty.com: Soap Dispenser

3) Fill your Lysol refill with your squeezable container.  Simply place your squeezable container into the hole on the top of the Lysol refill and squeeze in the soap. 

simpleispretty.com: DIY Lysol Refill, simply use a ketchup/mustard squeezable container to refill with your favorite soap...

My squeezable container can fit as much soap as it takes to fill one Lysol refill container.  So much cheaper than buying the refills from the store.  Especially, since we are getting into the cold and flu season and we are always washing our hands!

What are your soap solutions?  What soaps do you use?  How do you try to keep costs down?

As Always,
Sandra


   
The Shabby Nest  Too Much Time On My Hands

   

52 Mantels  SNAP!

9 comments:

  1. I've wanted to buy one of those but have hesitated for this very reason! I am glad you showed us a way to do this ourselves, I may go get one now....Thanks! :)
    www.happyhouseof5.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey, my spam folder grabbed your comment! Thanks for your comment, I'm off to check out your site now :)

      Delete
  2. I use the foaming hand soap pumps, but refill it with water and a little bit of dish washing liquid or hand soap and shake it. I only buy hand soap and dish liquid on sale with coupons anyways, so this stretches my buck even farther!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to save some money! I understand how much money you can save by purchasing soap on sale and using coupons, I also shop this way. You can save your family so much money by using coupons, thanks for the comment and for stopping by!

      Sandra

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen one of these dispensers...I am going to have to go check it out at the store! Thanks for sharing on Show & Tell at SNAP! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a home daycare and thought the Lysol touchless dispenser was an excellent sanitary item for the children to use. Then I realized the cost that was attached to it. This was very clever money-maker for Lysol. After using the first bottle, I realized the lid was designed to not come off. I finally got the lid off with a butter knife, but this process is so very hard to do. I later read that doing so can cause damage to the lids' design and cause the dispenser to not work properly. I guess this is what happened to mine as soap began oozing out making a mess. I eventually put the dispenser in my linen closet and went back to purchasing inexpensive pump dispensers. I LOVE your idea and will definitely try this out. My smaller daycare children take pride in utilizing their self-help skills and using the touchless dispenser allows for them to successfully clean their hands without becoming frustrated with trying to use the pump dispenser. Thanks a bunch for the idea!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A. Faye! They are a great idea for kids, but expensive unless you refill with your own soap! Thank you so much for your comment, hope it works well for you :)

      Delete

Your comments are welcome!...