Thursday, July 25, 2013

Make Your Own Washing Soda

For years now, I have bought fragrance free and sensitive skin laundry detergents.  My son has sensitive skin and he is easily irritated by detergents, fabric softeners and stain removers.  I have been wanting to make my own laundry detergent for a while now, and I’ve finally made the time to try it.  It’s so EASY!  I should have tried making it years ago.  I would have saved so much money and it is so much healthier without all the chemicals!

Making or buying washing soda is the first step to making your own laundry detergent.  You can find washing soda in the laundry isle of most grocery stores.  You can also make your own washing soda, like I did…

Washing Soda www.simpleispretty.com

All you need is baking soda, a cookie sheet (or cake pan) and an oven!  (No lemons needed… but lemons always make for prettier pictures)

Baking Soda www.simpleispretty.com

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.  Pour some baking soda into the cookie sheet or pan.  No measurements, just pour (this is my kinda recipe!)  Bake for about 1 hour in the oven, and stir it occasionally.

Baking soda in pan www.simpleispretty.com
Baking Soda in oven www.simpleispretty.com

The baking soda will change in consistency and will become grainy.

Make Your Own Washing Soda www.simpleispretty.com

Remove the baking soda (now washing soda) from the oven to cool. 

Baking Soda turned Washing Soda www.simpleispretty.com

Transfer the washing soda to a container for storage or later use.  I used a jar to store my new washing soda.  Done!

Stay tuned for how your can make your own Laundry Detergent (another Super EASY recipe!)…

As Always,
Sandra

Simple is Pretty Parties Here…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!...