Thursday, May 10, 2012

China Cabinet Update

In the middle of painting the dining room, I got this bright idea to start a project.  For a few months now, I have been wanting to brighten up the back of my china cabinet.  Originally, I was thinking of using wallpaper but I did not know what I would do with the rest of the roll of wallpaper after this project was complete.  

Instead of my wallpaper idea, I brightened up my china cabinet using some fabric. 


I had purchased this fabric originally to cover a cork board I was going to use for meal planning.  In the end, I used this solution for meal planning instead.


The fabric has a simple pattern and is made of cotton.  First, I ironed the fabric to get the major wrinkles out.  The fabric was a lot easier to handle and work with after ironing.


I started by taking everything out of the china cabinet including the glass shelves.  

Since this was a spur of the moment idea.  No fancy backing here!  After measuring the back of the cabinet, I cut cereal boxes to fit the cabinet and held the boxes together with packing tape.  Next, I stretched the fabric over the cereal boxes.  Again, nothing fancy, I used packing tape and masking tape on the back to hold the fabric in place.  No one will ever see this side (except for you!) 


I placed the fabric boards in the back and positioned the glass shelves in place.  I wanted to brighten up the cabinet but I did not want to attach or alter the cabinet permanently.  Therefore, these fabric boards stand alone and the glass shelves keep them in place.  The fabric boards can easily have the fabric replaced to match a new decor.  

After


After


After

This project is a small change, but nevertheless it helps to brighten up the dining room.  What are your small projects you have done to brighten a space?

As Always,
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!...