Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Quick Porch Update… Part 1

simpleispretty.com: Quick Porch Update

Autumn is here and Winter is soon on it’s way.  I’ve unpacked the kid’s winter clothes and coats.  With the cold weather, the boys unfortunately have to put on lots of layers of clothes to keep warm when they go outside.  The winter clothes and coats needed some organization so I changed and improved our porch/entrance area to our house.  The current system was alright, but I added some more storage and hid the unsightly water bottles!

Here is a post on how our entrance used to look.  And here are some quick before pics…

simpleispretty.com: Porch Before Pic
Before
 

simpleispretty.com: Porch Before Pic Shoe Storage
Before

I moved the lighter brown chest to the living room.  We keep our firewood for our wood burning fireplace in this chest.  Originally, we placed it near the front door so we could easily load it up with wood without tracking snow throughout the house. 

I decided to give the firewood chest a new home in the living room, which makes sense because this is where the fireplace is located.  To refill the chest, my husband brings the wood to the back door in tubs and I stay inside and grab the tubs from him and refill the firewood chest.  So far, our system is working well.  It is also cutting down on the mess.  No more snow and pieces of wood tracked throughout the house.  Why I did not think of this solution sooner I will never know!

Now that I freed up some space by removing the firewood chest from the entrance area, I could add a new storage solution.  I needed a place to keep the kid’s splash pants and winter ski pants.

simpleispretty.com: Living Room Toy Storage Unit IKEA

I decided to move the toy storage unit that was in the living room to the entrance.  Not only would it give me more room in the living room, we would also benefit from the extra storage in the porch.

simpleispretty.com: Porch / Entrance Storage Unit IKEA

We can even use the storage unit as a bench to sit down and take our shoes off.  Each person in our family now has a basket to keep their winter belongings.  All I need to do now is add some labels to the baskets.

simpleispretty.com: Extra Kid's Shoe Storage in Porch

Under the storage unit, I’ve hidden a plastic shoe tray for the boy’s shoes.  A little extra storage and a place to keep the snowy, wet boots till they dry.

Stay tuned for the 2nd half of our Quick Porch Update!

Thanks,

As Always,
Sandra

abfolbuttonTDC Before and AfterThrifty Decor Chick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!...